The 237sqm detached house is located near Alexandra‘s Avenue, in the area of Exarchea and accommodates a couple. A two-storied neoclassic residence built before 1923 occupied the entire small site of 117sqm. The street façade, as well as part of the old building, was obligatorily maintained, while a new building that occupies a very small area was built in the rear part of the site.
The two buildings, the renovated and the new one, are linked via a light glass structure, which sits in an inner courtyard, framed by the compact volume of the neighboring block of flats and located in the middle of the building arrangement.
The living areas, the double void living-room (new building) and the kitchen with the dining room (old part), are organized around the inner courtyard, which appears as ground floor level for the new building and at the same time as first floor level for the maintained part, and acts as a visual and physical extension of the above spaces.
The rest of the spaces are arranged within the new building in four levels, ground floor excluded, each barely occupying 47,50sqm in area. On the ground floor of the old building and facing the street the guestroom, with separate entrance, is accommodated. The organization of the spaces ensures a protected and quiet environment, without detaching it from the fast developing neighborhood.
EIA Press, Catalogue of the exhibition at Benaki Museum, 22 January – 15 March 2009, p.35
Architecture in Greece Press, Issue 39, 2008, p.134-137
EIA Press, Catalogue of the exhibition Architectural Awards 2008, 15 April-7 June 2009, p.58
26 October 2008, p.108-111
KTIRIO Press, Contemporary Architecture in Greece, 2006, p.60-69
EK Press, p.224-236